Red Cross Babysitting Course
Basic first aid and caregiving skills for youth 11–15 years old. Participants learn how to provide care to younger children in a variety of age groups, and how to prevent and respond to emergencies. Course also offers youth the training to promote themselves as a babysitter to prospective parents.
This class does not include lunch. Please pack a lunch and snacks. We do not permit children to leave to buy food unless a parent gives written permission.
Classes will continue at Unit 29 - 9914 Morrison Street until March 15th, From March 16th onward classes will be held at 221 Tundra Drive in the Westwood School Complex, next to the YMCA. Contact us at 780-792-1535 if you have any question about your class location.
• How to be responsible and demonstrate leadership
• How to make good decisions and manage difficult behaviours
• Information on children’s developmental stages, and specific strategies for each stage
• How to feed, diaper, dress, and play with children and babies
• How to recognize and prevent unsafe situations, make safe choices and promote safe behaviours
• First aid skills (including: Check Call Care, choking, severe bleeding, minor cuts and scrapes, Epi-Pen, asthma, and more)
• The business of babysitting
Babysitter’s Manual, Completion certificate
Course length: 7 hours (approximately)
Class size:minimum 4, maximum 15 participants
Course location: 29-9914 Morrison Street (bottom level, Morrison Centre)