Red Cross Babysitting Course
Basic first aid and caregiving skills for youth 11–15 years old. Participants learn how to provide care to younger children in a variety of age groups, and how to prevent and respond to emergencies. Course also offers youth the training to promote themselves as a babysitter to prospective parents.
This class does not include lunch. Please pack a lunch and snacks. We do not permit children to leave to buy food unless a parent gives written permission.
From March 16th, 2019 onward, classes will be held at 221 Tundra Drive in the Westwood School Complex, next to the YMCA. Contact us at 780-792-1535 if you have any question about your class location.
• How to be responsible and demonstrate leadership
• How to make good decisions and manage difficult behaviours
• Information on children’s developmental stages, and specific strategies for each stage
• How to feed, diaper, dress, and play with children and babies
• How to recognize and prevent unsafe situations, make safe choices and promote safe behaviours
• First aid skills (including: Check Call Care, choking, severe bleeding, minor cuts and scrapes, Epi-Pen, asthma, and more)
• The business of babysitting
Babysitter’s Manual, Completion certificate
Course length: 7 hours (approximately)
Class size:minimum 4, maximum 15 participants